Member Search Results

Education

The Eliza Iron Furnace

map icon
Vintondale, PA 15961
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org/parks/ef/ef.html

The Eliza Iron FurnaceThe Eliza Furnace is a National Register site regarded as one of Pennsylvania's best preserved iron furnaces. Dating from 1846 the Eliza Furnace is one of only a few iron furnaces remaining in the United States which still retains its original heat exchanger piping. The two-acre site is leased to Indiana County by the Cambria County Historical Society. Eliza Furnace was constructed in 1845 and 1846. At its peak, the furnace employed over 90 people and utilzed 45 mules to produce about 1,080 tons of iron a year. The furnace was not a financial success, and operated only three years. Difficulties in transporting iron by teams of horses to Ninevah on the Pennsylvania Canal, poor-quality local ore, and a significant drop in iron prices sealed the furnace's fate. Despite its early closing, Eliza Furnace helped bring the industrial revolution to the Blacklick Valley. A detailed history of the furnace is available here in PDF format. Additional information about Eliza Furnace and other iron furnaces in Pennsylvania can be found at the Industrial Archeology and PA Iron Furnace Sourcebook websites.


Jimmy Stewart Museum

map icon
835 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-349-6112
Fax: 724-349-6140
http://www.jimmy.org

The museum is dedicated to world renowned actor Jimmy Stewart. Located in Indiana, PA, his birthplace. Career and personal history and artifacts, 50 seat movie theatre, and Gift Shop. Winter Hours  Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 12 noon to 4 p.m.


Yellow Creek State Park

map icon
170 Route 259 Highway
Penn Run, PA 15765
Phone: 724-357-7913
www.DCNR.PA.gov

Yellow Creek State Park

The 2,981-acre Yellow Creek State Park is in Indiana County along one of the first “highways” in the state, the Kittanning Path. This trail was used by the Delaware and Shawnee nations and by early settlers.

Today, visitors enjoy the sand beach, picnicking, and educational and recreational programs. The 720-acre Yellow Creek Lake is a destination for boaters and anglers. The lake and park are an important rest stop for migrating birds.

The park is named for Yellow and Little Yellow creeks, which flow into the lake. Both creeks contain yellow clay in their banks and bottoms.

Camping cottages, located near the lake-shore, each having electricity, picnic table, fire ring and a porch. The six cottages each sleep five people in bunk beds, Also available at the state park are yurts - round, canvas and wood walled tents that have a wooden floor as well as a deck, and sleep five people in bunk beds. Each yurt also has a cook stove, refrigerator, microwave oven, table, chairs, electricity, fire ring and picnic table.

 


Indiana County Jimmy Stewart Airport

map icon
398 Airport Road
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-463-3883
http://www.jimmystewartairport.com

Indiana County Jimmy Stewart Airport The Indiana County Jimmy Stewart Airport is a modern, public-use airport serving the growing communities of Indiana County, PA and its surrounding areas. The Jimmy Stewart Airport, named after hometown boy and Hollywood Actor James Stewart, offers services for private and commercial pilots of small aircrafts. The airport is equipped with a runway lighting system, snow removal capabilities allowing for all-season operations and an Automated Weather Observation System (AWOS) enabling pilots and others to receive timely and accurate weather information. The terminal building houses administrative offices, a pilots' lounge and flight planning area, as well as a conference room. The installation of a new fuel tank farm has enabled the airport to provide jet fuel (JET A) in addition to conventional aviation fuel (100 LL). Also, a maintenance hangar and new T-hangars were recently constructed.


John G. Schmick Heritage Center

map icon
59 East Kittanning Street
Smicksburg, PA 16256
Phone: 814-257-8083

John G. Schmick Heritage CenterLocated in the heart of the Amish community of Smicksburg this museum is situated in a converted house which contains a wealth of historic memorabilia from the surrounding area. *****We will be closed from December 15th through the middle of April.


Double Diamond Deer Ranch

map icon
12211 Route 36
Clarington, PA 15828
Phone: 814-752-6334
www.thedoublediamonddeerranch.com

Double Diamond Deer Ranch Double Diamond Deer Ranch, located near Cook Forest State Park, open May thru October, offers a wonderful place to learn about whitetail deer. The ranch is home to brown, albino, piebald and white whitetail deer. All of the deer have lived at the ranch since they were fawns. The Buck Barn is a hunters "dream come true" and a great way to learn about animals. The Buck Barn contains over 100 mounted animals. Everything from a mouse to a moose. As the deer at the Double Diamond Deer Ranch pass away, they are mounted and spend their days in the Buck Barn. The Double Diamond Deer Ranch also offers Indoor Glow-in-the-Dark Mini Golf, a Gift Shop and Flea Market.


Western Division of Pennsylvania Canal

map icon
Saltsburg, PA 15681

One of the sites listed on the 24 National Register of Historic Places.


Graff's Market

map icon
27 North Sixth Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of the 24 National Register of historic places.


Strongstown Homecoming & Historical Society

map icon
14729 Route 422 East
Strongstown, PA 15957
Phone: 814-749-9771

Strongstown Homecoming & Historical SocietyThe Strongstown Historical Society (SHS) owns and is operates from a one-room schoolhouse in the heart of Strongstown. The SHS is working toward restoring the schoolhouse and opening it as a museum. An attached hall is available for rent from April to October. For more information call 814-749-9142.


IUP Spring Commencement

map icon
Indiana, PA 15705
www.iup.edu

Graduation will take place. This event typically takes place in the month of May. For more information or details please visit our calendar of events listing.


Punxsutawney Weather Discovery Center

map icon
201 N. Findley Street
Punxsutawney, PA 15767
Phone: 814-938-1000
Fax: 814-938-8830
www.weatherdiscovery.org

Punxsutawney Weather Discovery Center, where the science and folklore of weather come alive with fun interactive exhibits, a theater and a gift shop in an historic building! Visit www.weatherdiscovery.org for hours, admission, and directions.  


Homer-Center Historical Society

map icon
Caboose-Museum North Main Street
Floodway Park
Homer City, PA 15748
Phone: 724-549-4251
www.facebook.com/Homer-Center-Historical-Society-551283818381300

The Homer-Center Historical Society displays heritage artifacts of the Homer City area in a refurbished caboose. Stroll through the museum, examining interesting artifacts to learn more about the the history of the Homer-Center area. Hours are seasonal.


Blacklick Valley Natural Area

map icon

Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Access Point: This area is located 15 miles south of Indiana and 9 miles north of Johnstown, PA. The Parker Tract is located along McFeaters Road, off Route 22, east of Armagh. A small parking area is locatred at the end of McFeaters Road. --- Natural areas are set aside to protect both typical and unique plant and animal communities and to protect outstanding examples of natural interest and beauty. Facility development at the site has been minimized to protect the site's natural character. The natural area has three tracts. The Parker Tract, located south of Blacklick Creek, encompasses 300 acres. A small parking area and six miles of hiking and cross-country skiing trail shave been established. The Caldwell and Clarke Run Tracts form a contiguous 413 acre parcel, and lie north of Blacklick Creek. These northern tracts are undeveloped and do not contain established hiking trails. The Ghost Town Trail bisects the property about one-half mile east of Dilltown. Hunting, camping and motorized vehicles are not permitted in the natural areas.


Blairsville Armory

map icon
119 North Walnut Street
Blairsville, PA 15717

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Blue Spruce Park

map icon
1128 Blue Spruce Road
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Indiana County established this park in 1966. The dam, known as Cummins Dam, was constructed in 1908 and enlarged in 1912. The park acreage totals 650 acres and features two playgrounds, a volleyball court, horseshoe court, areas for games and sports and a 12-acre lake stocked with trout. In addition, Blue Spruce Park has four pavilions and two lodges available for public rental. The park also contains six miles of hiking and cross-country skiing trails. Located within the park is the Indiana County Master Gardener's Trial Garden where visitors can view the latest floral and plant selections from the Penn State Gardener's Select program. Blue Spruce Park is a premier bird watching spot and portions of the park are open to hunting. Also, noteworthy, an historical marker honoring Bernice Gera, a native of nearby Ernest, PA, is located in the park. Gera was the first female umpire to work in a professional baseball league.


Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Railway Indiana Passenger Station

map icon
1125 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Buttermilk Falls Natural Area

map icon
570 Valley Brook Road
New Florence, PA 15944
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Buttermilk Falls Natural AreaThis site features an impressive 45 foot waterfall and scenic woodland. The 48-acre natural area was donated to Indiana County Parks in 1995 by the Keystone-Conemaugh Group, owners of the nearby Conemaugh Generating Station. As a natural area, the site has been set aside to protect both typical and unique plant and animal communities and to protect outstanding examples of natural beauty. Between 1931 and 1956 the property was owned by Fred McFeely, grandfather of Fred Rogers of children's television fame. McFeely, a wealthy industrialist from Latrobe, PA, utilized the property as a retreat. His estate featured a cottage, horse stables, a three car garage, outbuildings and a swimming area in the creek above the falls. Mr. Rogers often visited the site as a child. Stone foundations and retaining walls from the estate are visible at the site.


Commodore Historic District

map icon
Roughly bounded by PA Route 286, Vanderbilt Avenue, Musser Street and Fisher Avenue


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Downtown Indiana Historic District

map icon
Roughly bounded by Water Street, Seventh Street, Sixth Street, and Wayne Avenue


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


George Diehl Homestead

map icon
on Diehl Road, off Route 422 East of Indiana


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Ghost Town Trail

map icon
Runs from Black Lick, Indiana County to Ebensburg, Cambria County

Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Ghost Town TrailIn 1991 the Kovalchick Salvage Company donated twelve miles of the former Blacklick and Ebensburg Railroad to Indiana County Parks. The railroad corridor has been recycled into a popular rails-to-trails project known as the Ghost Town Trail. In 1993 the Cambria & Indiana Railroad donated an additional four miles of railroad line from Rexis to White Mill Station known as the Rexis Branch. Access points: Saylor Park; Heshbon; Dilltown; Wehrum; Vintondale, Rexis; Red Mill; Twin Rocks; Nanty Glo; and Ebensburg -- In 1991, the Kovalchick Salvage Company donated sixteen miles of the former Blacklick and Ebensburg Railroad to Indiana County Parks. The railroad corridor has been recycled into a popular rails-to-trails project known as the Ghost Town Trail. In 1993, the Cambria & Indiana Railroad donated an additional four miles of railroad line from Rexis to White Mill Station known as the Rexis Branch. In 2005, an additional 20 miles were added to the trail - 12 miles in Indiana County and 8 miles in Cambria County. The trail is designated as a National Recreation Trail by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Ghost Town Trail derives its name from five mining towns that once existed along the railroad corridor. Wehrum, the largest of the former mining towns, once boasted 230 homes, a hotel, company store, jail and bank. The town was developed by Warren Delano, uncle of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Other ghost towns include Bracken, Armerford, Lackawanna #3, Scott Glen, Webster, Beulah and Claghorn. Eliza Furnace, one of Pennsylvania's best preserved iron furnaces, is located along the trail. This unique relic of the Blacklick Valley's early industrial era is on the National Register of Historic Places. Historical markers along the trail provide interpretive information about the Blacklick Valley's intriguing history.


Harmon Bridge

map icon


Harmon BridgeHarmon Bridge, which was built in 1910 at a cost of $525, is 45 feet long and was named after Civil War veteran J.S. Harmon. Built by John R. Carnahan, Harmon Bridge is constructed with town lattice trusses. It is considered a companion bridge to Trusal Bridge and is located on the south branch of Plum Creek just off Five Points Road.


Hemlock Lake

map icon
2145 Hemlock Lake Road
Glen Campbell, PA 15742
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Hemlock LakeThe 205 acre park, located in northeastern Indiana County in Banks Township, features a 60 acre lake with two boat launches and ares for picnicking, hunting, hiking, fishing and ice fishing. Two pavilions, at the park, are available on a first-come first-serve basis. The lake is stocked with bluegill, bass, catfish, muskellunge, walleye and northern pike. Fishermen may moor their boats at the park following regulations established by the Fish & boat Commission. Only electric motors and hand propelled boats are permitted.


Hoodlebug Trail

map icon
Runs from Indiana, PA to Black Lick PA
PA
Phone: 724-463-8636
Fax: NA
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Hoodlebug TrailAccess points: Hoss's in Indiana; Old Route 119 parking area between Indiana and Homer City; Floodway Park in Homer City; Red Barn Access in Homer City ---- The Hoodlebug Trail is a ten-mile recreation and commuter trail located in the central portion of Indiana County. The trail passes through residential, commercial, and natural settings, providing direct trail access to many local residents and employees of several schools, industries, and small businesses. The trail follows the abandoned Indiana Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad between the Homer City area and Indiana. The Hoodlebug Trail is open year round for non-motorized activities, including bicycling, hiking and cross-country skiing


Indiana Armory

map icon
621 Wayne Avenue (directly behind Clark House)
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Indiana Borough 1912 Municipal Building

map icon
39 North Seventh Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Indiana's Historic Sixth Street Walking Tour

map icon

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~paicgs/img/walking.pdf

Located in downtown Indiana, Pennsylvania, is historical Sixth Street. This walking tour takes visitors past 15 notable buildings all located within a four-block area. The tour features a Federal style structure house dating back to 1823, an eclectic, two-story brick house that merges two popular styles: Second Empire and Italian Villa. A stone, Gothic Revival church boasts weatherings, buttresses, and large pointed stained glass windows with tracery. Several of the buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places including The Old Indiana County Courthouse, with a clock tower and the Silas M. Clark House characterized by the use of S-brackets, a low pitched gable roof, a bay window, round-headed windows, and a tall, square tower.



IUP Breezedale

map icon
Located On IUP Campus


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


IUP John Sutton Hall

map icon
On IUP Campus
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


James Mitchell House

map icon
57 South Sixth Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


John B. McCormick House

map icon
West of Georgeville Off Route 210 Near Smicksburg


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Memorial Park

map icon
South Sixth Street
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Memorial ParkAlthough the smallest of the County Parks, Memorial Park is one of the most historic sites within Indiana County. Originally surveyed in 1774, the site was once a church cemetery. Many graves are still located in the park. During the Civil War, the site served as a hiding place for travelers of the Underground Railroad. The park's doughboy statue was erected in 1923 by a group of citizens led by Alex Stewart, father of the actor James Stewart. Nearby, is the Clark House and former Armory building, now home of the Indiana County Historical and Genealogical Society.



Old Indiana County Courthouse

map icon
601 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Old Indiana County Jail and Sheriff's Office

map icon
Behind old Court House
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Pine Ridge Park

map icon
998 Pine Ridge Rd
Blairsville, PA 15717
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Pine Ridge ParkAt 635 acres, Pine Ridge Park provides a variety of recreation options. Much of the park remains in a natural state with large stands of mature hardwoods. Tom's Run, a scenic mountain stream, intersects the park. Several miles of hiking and cross-country skiing trails traverse the park. It is also home to a 9-hole, recreational disc golf course. The Tom's Run area features picnic tables, grills, playgrounds, restrooms, and two pavilions available for rental. Pine Lodge is located in the southern portion of the park. The lodge is available for group rental and is used for reunions, meetings, weddings, receptions, and other social gatherings. Pine Lodge features a kitchen, restrooms, activity rooms, a deck and two stone fireplaces. A two-acre pond is available for catch-and-release fishing. A playground is also located near the Lodge.


Saltsburg Canal Park

map icon
320 Point Street
Saltsburg, PA 15681
Phone: 724-639-9413
http://www.visitsaltsburg.com

Running the entire length of Saltsburg Borough is a 62 foot wide section of greenway known as Saltsburg's Canal Park. The Park is located on the site of the former PA Mainline Canal that later became the PA Railroad and now overlaps a section of the West Penn Trail. Visitors will enjoy a scenic, river-view walkway enhanced by informative historic signs, a footprint of Canal lock #8, a footbridge, and benches and picnic tables for relaxing moments. Also, a section of the Park, known as North Park, now includes Saltsburg's Veterans Memorial. The water-wave paved sections of the Park between Washington and Market Streets serve as the location for setting up community special events such as vendors booths and food stands during Canal Days and Saltsburg's lighted Christmas Trees display during the month of December.  


Saltsburg Historical District

map icon
Roughly from Plum and Walnut Alleys over to the Kiskiminetas River


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Silas M. Clark House

map icon
200 South Sixth Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


St. Peter's Episcopal Church and Rectory

map icon
38 West Campbell Street
Blarisville, PA 15717

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Thomas Bridge

map icon


Thomas BridgeThe Thomas Bridge was built in 1879 at a cost of $545 and completely reconstructed in 1998 at a cost of slightly more than $1 million dollars. Amos Thomas built the original bridge, which is the longest of the Indiana County covered bridges at a length of 75 feet. The original bridge was constructed with town lattice trusses. The Thomas Bridge crosses over Crooked Creek near Yarnick's Farm Market. The bridge was also known as Thomas Ford Bridge - prior to the construction of the bridge, there was a fording stream crossing at this location. When the railroad was constructed in this area in the early 1900's the bridge was also known as Thomas Station Bridge.


Trusal Bridge

map icon


Trusal BridgeThe oldest of Indiana County's covered bridges is the Trusal Bridge, built in 1870 (also known as Dice's Bridge). At 41 feet long, the Trusal Bridge is the shortest of Indiana County's covered bridges. It was named after Robert Trusal, a nearby property owner. It is considered a companion bridge to Harmon Bridge and is located on the south branch of Plum Creek just off Five Points Road. Trusal Bridge is located about one-half mile downstream of the Harmon Bridge.


Waterworks Conservation Area

map icon
768 Waterworks Rd
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

This 10-acre site, located adjacent to Two Lick Creek, is approximately 3 miles south of Indiana, PA. The site is being developed to combine recreational opportunities with an environmental remediation project. The conservation area will include a pavilion with an observation deck, canoe and kayak launch, fishing, trail circuit around wetlands with interpretive signage, path along Two Lick Creek, public restrooms and parking area.


West Penn Trail

map icon
From Blairsville, PA to Saltsburg, PA

http://www.conemaughvalleyconservancy.org

Access points: Saltsburg, Conemaugh Dam - The West Penn Trail is a 17 mile rail-trail between Saltsburg and the Westinghouse trailhead near Blairsville. The trail generally follows the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal and Portage Railroad that operated from 1830 to 1864 between Pittsburgh, PA and Harrisburg, PA. The trail is currently two sections: the Conemaugh River Lake and Saltsburg sections. The Conemaugh River Lake section passes over one of the four spectacular stone arch bridges built in 1907, and offers a great vista from the Conemaugh River. From this point you can also catch a glimpse of the old canal and railroad grade. The Saltsburg section passes through a beautiful backwoods, by visible canal and railroad remnants, hugging the Conemaugh River and covers approximately 17 miles of scenic trail.


West Wheatfield Township Bridge

map icon
West Wheatfield Township, over Richards Run near Robinson


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Yellow Creek State Park Trails

map icon
170 Route 259 Highway
Penn Run, PA 15765
Phone: 724-357-7913
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/yellowcreek.aspx

Yellow Creek State Park is home to 3 hiking trails: Damsite Loop Trail - This is a 2.5 mile trail that offers a view of the Yellow Creek dam. To get to this trail, follow PA 259 south from the park office. After taking a right turn at the stop sign, turn onto Hoffman Road - the second road to your right. This road ends at a small parking area where the Damsite Loop Trail begins. This trail can be hiked as an in and out or a loop. The in and out version of this hike would use strictly the eastern leg of the trail which is relatively easy. Adding the loop portion adds a little more difficulty as it winds slightly up and down a hill. The in and out version is kid/family friendly. This is a nice quiet out of the way place with picnic areas as well. Ridge Top Trail - Ridgetop Trail is a challenging 2 mile trail. It begins in the beach/day-use area and winds through a variety of habitats. Laurel Run Trail - The shorters of the three hiking trails, at Yellow Creek State Park, it is ideal to take children on. This trail is a 0.5 mile loop which starts at the Yellow Creek State Park office. This easy hike is especially beautiful in the spring when wildflowers abound.



Kintersburg Bridge

map icon


Kintersburg BridgeKintersburg Bridge was built in 1877 and named for Isaac Kinter, a local shopkeeper. J.S. Fleming erected the bridge over Crooked Creek at a cost of $893. The Kintersburg Bridge is the only Howe truss bridge in Indiana County and one of only five Howe truss bridges remaining in the state of Pennsylvania. It is 68 feet long.


Evergreen Conservancy

map icon
PO Box 0783
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-471-6020
http://www.evergreenconservancy.org

Evergreen ConservancyEvergreen Conservancy is a relatively new non profit in the Indiana area. Our mission is to advance the preservation, protection and stewardship of Natural, Cultural and Historic Resources in and around Indiana County. Since our inception we have focused our attention on AMD remediation, development of the Tanoma Wetlands Educational Center, and making it possible for home owners to conserve their lands for generations. We are a group of caring and committed volunteers who work to raise the quality of life in and around Indiana County. We seek to preserve wild life habitat, land, stream access, scenic vistas, working landscapes, and historic and cultural sites. Our crown jewel is the Tanoma Wetlands Educational Center. At this site you can find: a pavilion, a new StoryWalk –“Grandfather Twilight”, parking lot, handicapped accessible trail with tree and plant ID signs, a wind turbine, a water power generation system, solar panels, and a self guided system of signs explaining how iron is removed from AMD. . Directions from Indiana:: Take Route 286 East, Turn left on Tanoma Road, continue on Tanoma Road until you reach Rayne Church Road, turn left on Rayne Church Road, the educational center is on your right, there is a parking lot.


St. Bernard Regional Catholic School

map icon
300 Clairvaux Drive
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-465-7139
Fax: 724-465-0803
http://www.stbernardlc.org

St. Bernard SchoolThe original St. Bernard School first opened in 1930 on N. 5th Street. At that time, the Sisters of St. Joseph from Baden, PA staffed the school. St. Bernard School is now located at the top of scenic Clairvaux Hill overlooking St. Bernard of Clairvaux Parish and downtown Indiana, PA. St. Bernard School is Indiana County's only Catholic elementary school and is regionally known for its high quality of instruction. The curriculum includes special classes such as Technology, Spanish, Art, Physical Education, Band with in-school instruction, Chorus, and Library. Preschool programs for 3&4 year olds are also available and all-day Kindergarten. Over 1,700 students have graduated from St. Bernard School. The mission of St. Bernard School is to prepare the children in our care to live as Christian leaders today and in the world tomorrow. We do this by providing them with a traditional Catholic education emphasizing spiritual development, strong values and academic excellence. The students of St. Bernard School are encouraged to develop a deep commitment to gospel values in every facet of their lives.


Categories: Schools   Education  

Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County

map icon
621 Wayne Avenue
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-463-9600
www.hgsic.org

Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County Through a broad range of activities, The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County seeks to promote a greater appreciation of Indiana County's rich heritage and a better understanding of life today. We invite you to visit the Indiana County Historical Museum, the Indiana County Memorial to the Veterans, and the Frances Helman Research Library. You can also use our website for information and educational purposes. The Society is located in the town of Indiana, our county seat. In 1938, the Society was founded as a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization. The Society's purpose is to collect and preserve materials illustrative to Indiana County, its families, businesses, and organizations. Hours are Tuesday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.


Historical Society of the Blairsville Area

map icon
116 East Campbell Street
Blairsville, PA 15717
Phone: 724-459-0580
www.blairsvillehistoric.com

Historical Society of the Blairsville AreaOperated under the auspices of the Historical Society of the Blairsville Area (HSBA), the Museum was established in 1986 through the efforts of many individuals interested in preserving and promoting local heritage. Because of the Society's efforts, Blairsville has become one of the best-documented towns in Indiana County. Open Tuesday thru Friday 10:00 am - 2:00 pm or by appointment


Smicksburg - An Amish Settlement

map icon

http://www.smicksburg.net

Smicksburg - An Amish SettlementStep back into time as you travel to Northern Indiana County, home of a large Amish population which has grown to over 800 settlers since 1961. The Amish pursue a simpler lifestyle, operating farms and other businesses in ways that have changed little in the past century. Take notice of the fields being farmed with horses, and the small school houses where young children play in simple clothing as you drive through the beautiful countryside with rolling hills and gentle curves. The people are hospitable and wave as you go by, but please be careful to respect their lifestyle and take no pictures of the Amish folk. Drive slowly through the area being courteous to Amish traveling in horse-drawn buggies, and enjoy over 20 specialty shops along the way, offering country crafts, quilts, furniture, and foods. Smicksburg or "Schmicksburg," West Mahoning Township, Route 954 was founded in May of 1827 by Reverend J. George Schmick. Reverend Schmick was a Lutheran minister who purchased land from Charles Coleman. The Smicksburg Post Office opened October 1, 1830. John Kerr was the postmaster at that time. Kerr was also the blacksmith. The borough was incorporated in 1854. Before leaving the Smicksburg area, be sure to visit Windgate Winery located on Hemlock Acres Road, just off Rt. 954.?Schedule a tour of The McCormick Mansion nearby on SR 4018.


Indiana Art Association

map icon
732 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-762-8411

The purpose of the Indiana Art Association is to promote interest, appreciation, and participation in the arts. We aim to stimulate the artistic growth and development of our members as individual artists through encouragement, education, exhibits of work, and exchange of ideas. It is our desire to motivate public interest in the arts and function as aesthetically wise consumers and citizens ourselves.    


Indiana County Technology Center

map icon
441 Hamill Road
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-349-6700
Fax: 855 428-2338
http://www.ictc.edu

Indiana County Technology CenterThe Indiana County Technology Center is a modern, well-equipped school with faculty dedicated to helping each student utilize and enhance their academic talents and develop rigorous technical skill sets to become resourceful employees capable of achieving far beyond the expectations of entry level workers.


Categories: Schools   Education  

Indiana University of Pennsylvania

map icon
1011 South Drive
Indiana, PA 15705
Phone: 724 357-2100
www.iup.edu/

Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Founded in 1875, IUP is a vibrant, comprehensive, research-based, teaching-focused, student-centered learning community.

IUP combines the academic opportunities of a large university with the highly personalized and intimate learning-centered environment of a small college. Nearly 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled in our accredited and nationally recognized programs, enjoying traditional and nontraditional classroom experiences, engaging in research and service activities with their faculty mentors, becoming lifelong learners, preparing for rewarding careers and productive lives, and developing leadership skills for effective citizenship.        


Categories: Schools   Education  

Covered Bridge Driving Tour

map icon

http://www.indianacountyparks.org/downloads/covered-bridges/coveredbridgesbrochure.pdf

Indiana County is home to four covered bridges constructed in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.  The four bridges are Harmon, Trusal, Kintersburg and Thomas. A covered bridge driving map is available by clicking the above link.  


Rebecca B. Hadden Stone House Museum/Saltsburg Area Historical Society

map icon
105 Point Street
Saltsburg, PA 15681
Phone: 724-639-9003
rebeccabhaddenshm.com

The Saltsburg Area Historical Society acquired this old stone house, built in 1830, and established it as a well-documented museum of local history, including period furnishings, artifacts, and historical records of the surrounding region. Expertly developed displays tell the story of the canal era, the local salt, glass, and coal industries, and about collections of pottery, Indian arrowheads, blacksmiths tools, military items and memorabilia, and local residents who served as doctors, editors and educators, and inventors.new feature display is developed each year for Saltsburg's Canal Days celebration at the beginning of June.??There is also a well-maintained and labeled Victorian-style public garden, planted and tended by the Saltsburg Herbal Society, that adds an interesting and beautiful outdoor experience for museum tours.??The Stone House Museum is open every Wednesday throughout the year, except on holidays, from 10a.m - 2p.m., on Sunday afternoons from 1p.m. - 5p.m. during the months of May through October, and other times by appointment. Saltsburg Historical Society/Rebecca Hadden Stone House


Keystone Elk Country Alliance - Elk Country Visitor Center - Evergreen Chapter

map icon
134 Homestead Drive
Benezette, PA 15821
Phone: 814-787-5167
www.ElkCountryVisitorCenter.com

The Visitor Center is the ideal location to see elk in their natural setting. Also available are educational exhibits, multimedia experiences, hands-on learning opportunities, horse drawn wagon/sleigh rides and a gift shop.


"Thank You, Jimmy Stewart"

map icon
Christopher Collins
403 Elmwood Road
Ebensburg, PA 15931
Phone: 814-590-6436
www.jimmystewart.info

"Thank You, Jimmy Stewart!" is a one person condensed tribute to three of Mr. Stewart's films. "It's a Wonderful Life," "Harvey," and "Mr. Smith goes to Washington." The show captures the pure magic of storytelling.