Member Search Results
Rails to Trails
Access points: Hoss's in Indiana; Old Route 119 parking area between Indiana and Homer City; Floodway Park in Homer City; Red Barn Access in Homer City ---- The Hoodlebug Trail is a ten-mile recreation and commuter trail located in the central portion of Indiana County. The trail passes through residential, commercial, and natural settings, providing direct trail access to many local residents and employees of several schools, industries, and small businesses. The trail follows the abandoned Indiana Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad between the Homer City area and Indiana. The Hoodlebug Trail is open year round for non-motorized activities, including bicycling, hiking and cross-country skiing
Ghost Town Trail
In 1991 the Kovalchick Salvage Company donated twelve miles of the former Blacklick and Ebensburg Railroad to Indiana County Parks. The railroad corridor has been recycled into a popular rails-to-trails project known as the Ghost Town Trail. In 1993 the Cambria & Indiana Railroad donated an additional four miles of railroad line from Rexis to White Mill Station known as the Rexis Branch. Access points: Saylor Park; Heshbon; Dilltown; Wehrum; Vintondale, Rexis; Red Mill; Twin Rocks; Nanty Glo; and Ebensburg -- In 1991, the Kovalchick Salvage Company donated sixteen miles of the former Blacklick and Ebensburg Railroad to Indiana County Parks. The railroad corridor has been recycled into a popular rails-to-trails project known as the Ghost Town Trail. In 1993, the Cambria & Indiana Railroad donated an additional four miles of railroad line from Rexis to White Mill Station known as the Rexis Branch. In 2005, an additional 20 miles were added to the trail - 12 miles in Indiana County and 8 miles in Cambria County. The trail is designated as a National Recreation Trail by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Ghost Town Trail derives its name from five mining towns that once existed along the railroad corridor. Wehrum, the largest of the former mining towns, once boasted 230 homes, a hotel, company store, jail and bank. The town was developed by Warren Delano, uncle of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Other ghost towns include Bracken, Armerford, Lackawanna #3, Scott Glen, Webster, Beulah and Claghorn. Eliza Furnace, one of Pennsylvania's best preserved iron furnaces, is located along the trail. This unique relic of the Blacklick Valley's early industrial era is on the National Register of Historic Places. Historical markers along the trail provide interpretive information about the Blacklick Valley's intriguing history.
Blacklick Valley Natural Area
Access Point: This area is located 15 miles south of Indiana and 9 miles north of Johnstown, PA. The Parker Tract is located along McFeaters Road, off Route 22, east of Armagh. A small parking area is locatred at the end of McFeaters Road. --- Natural areas are set aside to protect both typical and unique plant and animal communities and to protect outstanding examples of natural interest and beauty. Facility development at the site has been minimized to protect the site's natural character. The natural area has three tracts. The Parker Tract, located south of Blacklick Creek, encompasses 300 acres. A small parking area and six miles of hiking and cross-country skiing trail shave been established. The Caldwell and Clarke Run Tracts form a contiguous 413 acre parcel, and lie north of Blacklick Creek. These northern tracts are undeveloped and do not contain established hiking trails. The Ghost Town Trail bisects the property about one-half mile east of Dilltown. Hunting, camping and motorized vehicles are not permitted in the natural areas.
West Penn Trail
Access points: Saltsburg, Conemaugh Dam - The West Penn Trail is a 17 mile rail-trail between Saltsburg and the Westinghouse trailhead near Blairsville. The trail generally follows the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal and Portage Railroad that operated from 1830 to 1864 between Pittsburgh, PA and Harrisburg, PA. The trail is currently two sections: the Conemaugh River Lake and Saltsburg sections. The Conemaugh River Lake section passes over one of the four spectacular stone arch bridges built in 1907, and offers a great vista from the Conemaugh River. From this point you can also catch a glimpse of the old canal and railroad grade. The Saltsburg section passes through a beautiful backwoods, by visible canal and railroad remnants, hugging the Conemaugh River and covers approximately 17 miles of scenic trail.
Blairsville Riverfront Trail
Blairsville Riverfront Trail - The 1.7 mile long trail follows the loop of the Conemaugh River around Blairsville. The trail is located within the flood control area of Conemaugh Dam and is subject to periodic flooding. Conemaugh Dam is located seven miles downstream of the trail. Before the property was condemned for flood control purposes this area was an important residential and industrial area of Blairsville and southern Indiana County.