Member Search Results

Historical

Iselin

map icon


Venture east on Rt. 286 through Clarksburg to Rt. 3021 into Iselin, a mining town built by Pittsburgh Gas & Coal Co. in 1903. There you will see houses, a mine office, doctor's office, and a company store from the coal mining era remaining since the shutdown in 1934.


Categories: Historical   Things To Do   Historic Towns  

McIntyre

map icon

http://www.mcintyrepa.com

McIntyreMcIntyre, Pennsylvania, was one of more than a dozen coal mining company towns developed by the Rochester and Pittsburgh Coal Company in Indiana County, in the early part of the 20th century. During this period the United States was becoming a major industrial and world power due in part to the presence and mining of coal and other abundant natural resources in the country. Many southern and eastern European immigrants were attracted to jobs in the mines and settled with their families in these towns. Through the use of photos, documents and memories of town residents, the site documents one represenrative western Pennsylvania coal town during its heyday. Susan Ferrandiz is the research/developer of the site. Her grandparents and their family lived in McIntyre.


Categories: Historical   Things To Do   Historic Towns  

Strongstown Homecoming & Historical Society

map icon
14729 Route 422 E., P.O. Box 82
Strongstown, PA
Phone: 814-749-9771

Strongstown Homecoming & Historical SocietyThe Strongstown Historical Society (SHS) owns and is operates from a one-room schoolhouse in the heart of Strongstown. The SHS is working toward restoring the schoolhouse and opening it as a museum. An attached hall is available for rent from April to October. For more information call 814-749-9142.



Saltsburg Stone House Museum

map icon
105 Point Street
Saltsburg, PA 15681
Phone: 724-639-9003
rebeccabhaddenshm.com

 

The Saltsburg Area Historical Society acquired this old stone house, built in 1830, and established it as a well-documented museum of local history, including period furnishings, artifacts, and historical records of the surrounding region.  Expertly developed displays tell the story of the canal era, the local salt, glass, and coal industries, and about collections of pottery, Indian arrowheads, blacksmith’s tools, military items and memorabilia, and local residents who served as doctors, editors and educators, and inventors.   In the backyard of the museum is a toolshed that contains a large variety of old farming and carpentry tools.  A new feature display is developed each year for Saltsburg’s Canal Days celebration at the beginning of June.  There is also a well-maintained and labeled Victorian-style public garden, planted and tended by the Saltsburg Herbal Society, that adds an interesting and beautiful outdoor experience for museum tours.  The Stone House Museum is open every Wednesday throughout the year, except on holidays, from 10a.m. – 2p.m., on Sunday afternoons from 1p.m. – 5p.m. during the months of May through October, and other times by appointment.

Saltsburg Historical Society/Rebecca Hadden Stone House


Tunnelview Historic Site

map icon
Off of Tunnelton Road
Saltsburg, PA 15681
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Tunnelview Historic SiteThis 16 acre site, adjacent to the Conemaugh Dam in southwestern Indiana County, contains significant remnants of transportation history.

The Tunnelview tale begins with the Pennsylvania Mainline Canal. A 900' portion of canal visible at the site was part of the canal's Western division. The route extended from Pittsburgh to Johnstown, where the Allegheny Portage Railroad began. Once over the Alleghenies, passengers continued their trip to Harrisburg and Philadelphia.

Constructing the canal through the rugged terrain of the Alleghenies was a monumental undertaking. Faced with steep terrain and a sharp bend in the Conemaugh River, engineer Alonzo Livermore routed the canal through Bow Ridge, the narrow strip of land within the riverbend. Once through the tunnel, the canal continued over a stone arch aqueduct across the river. This was the only site on the canal with an aqueduct and tunnel next to one another.

The Western division of the canal operated until 1852, when maintenance problems, financial insolvency, and competition from the railroads brought an end to the brief canal era in Pennsylvania. The canal tunnel was sealed off as part of the Conemaugh flood control project in 1952.

By 1864, the Pennsylvania Railroad had constructed a new tunnel and stone arch bridge here for its subsidiary, the North West Railroad. The PRR completed construction of another tunnel here in 1907, when the railroad was realigned. This realignment required the construction of a stone arch bridge which still stands. The bridge withstood the 1936 Johnstown Flood. A sign on the stone arch bridge shows the high water mark.

In 1952 the PRR realigned its trackage again, and constructed the high level iron bridge standing today. Today the bridge carries trains of the Norfolk Southern Railway. A fourth tunnel was constructed through Bow Ridge in 1989 to deliver water to a nearby hydroelectric power station.



Shelocta

map icon


Shelocta Borough, Armstrong Township, was formerly Sharp's Mills in 1822. Thomas and Joseph Sharp erected a house, saw mill, and gristmill. The Sharp's Mill Post Office was established March 9, 1829. James Thompson, Jr. was the postmaster. The Post Office closed January 15, 1830 and reopened September 23, 1830. But only to close again on Jully 22, 1831. In 1835, Abner Kelly laid out village lots, which were offered for sale May 20, 1835. The Shelocta Post Office opened November 1, 1837 and Daniel Metzker was the postmaster. The name Shelocta was taken for the Iroquois Indian language meaning "Shainee Cabin."


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Homer City

map icon


Homer CityThe history of Homer City dates back to the mid 1700's, when settlers began to establish homesteads on lands previously owned by six Indian nations. The village of Homer City was laid out in 1854 by William Wilson, who named it after the ancient Greek poet, Homer. Although FMC Corporation is a major employer, there are many other businesses within the borough providing goods and services to our residents. These include a pharmacy, a bank, a grocery store, a department store, restaurants, a laundramat, barber shops, hair salons, physician's offices and other service oriented businesses, all of which are readily accessible. The Borough is a part of the Homer Center School District, with the schools being located just south of the Borough line. There is also a wide variety of residential housing available, from apartments and houses available to the general public to a senior citizen apartment complex. Homer City Borough is situated 6 miles from Indiana, 30 miles from Greensburg, 25 miles from Johnstown, and 50 miles from Pittsburgh. Homer City Electric Generating Station The Homer City Station, sitting high atop a plateau two miles south of the borough after which it is named, boasts the highest stack in the nation at 1,216 feet. The station has three generating units: two 600,000 kilowatt tandem compound turbine generators, and a third 620,000 kilowatt unit. The three units combined burn 700 tons of coal per hour - coal which is delivered by conveyers from deep mines. Coal is also trucked in from local strip mines. Transmission lines radiating from the Station, including the first extra-high-voltage line from western Pennsylvania to upstate New York, make it possible to move large amounts of power on a normal, as well as an emergency basis. This power moves to strategic points in both the PA-NJ-MD Interconnection and the NY Power Pool, two of the nation's major integrated power pools.


Categories: Historical   Things To Do   Historic Towns  

Cherry Tree

map icon


Cherry TreeCherry Tree borough wasn't inhabited until 1822. It was originally known as Canoe Place which was where canoe travel on the Susquehanna West Branch ended as noted on Schull's map of 1770 and on the Warrant Survey A63-263, surveyed by William P. Brady for John Nicholson on August 23, 1794. Cherry Tree has always been known for several names applicable in one way or another including, Bardville, Campville, Grant, Newman Mill, New Lancaster and Canoe Place In 1833, Peter Newman purchased a gristmill which had been erected in 1826 or 1827 by William Sebring. He named the village Newman's Mill and was the first postmaster of Newman's Mill when it opened on January 3, 1842. On November 10, 1864, the name was changed to Grant P.O. until 1907. Thereafter to the present it has been known as Cherry Tree. Cherry Tree Borough was incorporated April 30, 1855 by Act of General Assembly from parts of Cambria, Clearfield, and Indiana Counties. It was named after a large wild cherry tree, which stands at the spot now marked by a large monument erected by the state in 1894. The monument also marked the corner of the property purchase of Indian lands at the Treaty of Fort Stanwix at Rome, NY, November 5, 1768. In June of 1905, the rails of New York Central (NYC) and PA Railroads were interconnected at Cherry Tree and the two began jointly to construct a new and unique railroad 22.25 miles to Clymer and Dixonville terminating at Sample Run and La Rayne. Each railroad operated its own rolling stock. PA Railroad and NYC began passenger service on April 1, 1907. NYC later ended its passenger service in February 1933 and PA Railroad ended their passenger service on October 4, 1947. Cherry Tree also had a male and female college, which was incorporated by Act of the General Assembly on April 14, 1868. It is said the school opened in 1870 but the venture was unsuccessful and ceased in 1874. Keywords: cherry tree borough wasn't inhabited until 1822. it was originally known as canoe place which was where canoe travel on the Susquehanna west branch ended as noted on schull's map of 1770 but the venture was unseccesful and ceased in 1874.


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Armagh

map icon


ArmaghArmagh Borough is located in East Wheatfield Township Route 22. Eight families led by James and Margaret Jane Graham from the Counties of Armagh, Antrim, and Ulster arrived in the area in August 1792. Margaret Jane married Mr. Graham after the death of her first husband Lord William Parker. Mr. Graham was the caretaker of Lord Parker's estate. James and Margaret left to escape social pressures against their marriage. In 1880, Joseph McCartney surveyed the town. On October 2, 1804 Armagh had mail service. In June 1805 Armagh Borough established the first Post Office in Indiana County. Thomas Kerr was the postmaster. On April 10, 1834 by Act of General Assembly, Armagh was chartered as a borough. The name means "the field on a hill."


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Clymer

map icon


ClymerTravel through history and notice that not only the town, but also several streets are named for signers of the Declaration of Independence. The town was founded in 1905 and named in honor of George Clymer, who was also a signer of the Constitution of the United States. Notable sites include the Dillen Boarding House (1905), now a private residence on Hancock Street, probably the first place of business in Clymer; the Streetcar Station (1908) on South Sixth Street, which provided service to the Indiana area until 1927; and a Mine Disaster plaque in front of the Clymer Borough Building on South Sixth Street, commemorating the terrible explosion at Sample Run Mine in 1926 that took the lives of 44 mine workers. Clymer Borough is located in Cherryhill Township at the intersection of Routes 286 and 403. The Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corporation and affiliated coal companies formed it. The Indiana County Gazette, on April 13, 1904 reported a company was organized "last night" at a meeting in Indiana by Messrs, Rembrandt and Frank Peale, New York; C.C. Springer, Boston; J.L. Mitchell, Philadelphia; Harry and J.O. Clark, Glen Campbell; E.H. Ellsworth, Superintendent Arcadia Coal Company; and M.C. Watson, Indiana. The group owned 10,000 acres of coal land on Two Lick Creek. "Opening will be made and a town will be laid out." The first sale of lots was held on October 11 and 12, 1905. Clymer Borough was named at the suggestion of John S. Fisher in honor of George Clymer, a signer of the Declaratoin of Independence and Constitution of the United States. A hundred years before, George Clymer had donated land in Indiana for the County seat. The main street was named Franklin Street in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Many of the other streets were named for other signers of the Declaration of Independence. Clymer was planned as an opened town contrary to other company owned mining towns. Clymer grew to be the largest coal-mining town in Indiana County. The Post Office was opened in February 8, 1906 and J. Ward Houck was the postmaster. The borough was incorporated February 29, 1908.


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Glen Campbell

map icon


Glen Campbell, the first coal town in Indiana County, was founded in 1889. It was named for Cornelius Campbell, the first superintendent of the Glenwood Coal Company, the enterprise which initiated mining operations in the area. The town experienced immediate growth and soon a number of coal companies were operating in and around the community. In 1894, just five years after its inception, Glen Campbell was incorporated as a borough. The town quickly became the service, business, and shopping center for a number of smaller mining communities that sprang up in northern Indiana County. By 1900 Glen Campbell was the third largest town in Indiana County. It also had the distinction of being the county's fastest growing community. In fact, residents of the community felt it was feasible, with such growth , that eventually the county seat would have to be moved to Glen Campbell. The town was serviced by both the Pennsylvania and New York Central railroads. In addition to coal mining, there were a number of lumber mills. In 1905 the Giant Electric Light, Heat, and Power Company opened operations in Glen Campbell. The company provided electricity to communities in northern Indiana and southern Clearfield counties. Other industries included a brickyard which was established on the Cush Creek, a stream that flows through the community, and a cooper's shop which manufactured barrels. Later a battery factory was opened. There also were plans for the construction of a foundry and a furniture factory. At its height of prosperity, the town had approximately 60 businesses. There was an opera house and a nickelodeon. The community boasted its own school system, which included a high school. There were a number of dentists and doctors. One doctor even operated an infirmary for the miners. The borough had its own bank, the First National Bank of Glen Campbell. A number of newspapers were published in the town and many social organizations sprang up. Unfortunately, the bubble burst. Labor unrest, the decline in coal output, the depletion of the timber stocks, and a number of disastrous fires left Glen Campbell in a serious financial dilemma. The Great Depression of the 1930's dealt the town its final and most crippling blow. The bank was forced to close permanently and a number of businesses either folded or moved elsewhere. The community never recovered from the trauma and continued its spiraling decline. Although its heyday has long since passed, the town still has the capability of attracting notoriety. It received national attention in 1971 when Glen Campbell, the country music singer, made a surprise visit. The trip was featured in a TV Guide article later that year. Although no longer the size it once was, Glen Campbell continues to function in its own right. The town's fire company provides fire protection to a number of communities in the area. Its three churches (Methodist, Baptist, and Roman Catholic) all have active congregations. Social organizations include the American Legion and the Glen Campbell Fireman's Auxiliary. The town's post office still provides rural services to a large area surrounding the borough. There are a number of businesses, including some which are coal related, that call Glen Campbell home.


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Commodore

map icon


Founded in 1919 by the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corp., Commodore was a model mining town. Settlers here had the privilege of living in one of the few towns with sewage and running water - very advanced for the early 1900's. Today you can still see some of the buildings crafted of concrete blocks that were produced in town. The village of Commodore has been declared eligible for the inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Blairsville

map icon

http://www.blairsvillepa.net/

BlairsvilleFounded in 1818 at the junction of the Northern Turnpike and the Conemaugh River, the town prospered with the completion of the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal. A slackwater pool allowed access from the canal basin at Bairdstown to docks, warehouses, and boatyards at Blairsville. Local industries, including foundries, coal mines, and salt works, thrived with the advent of this cheap and reliable means of transportation. The first branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad existing in Indiana County was built in Blairsville in 1851. In 1860, the Western Pennsylvania Railroad was organized and headquartered here, creating an important rail center in Indiana County. Notable sites remaining in Blairsville include the National Guard Armory (1909) at 199 N. Walnut Street; St. Peter's Episcopal Church (1830) on West Campbell Street; the Pennsylvania Railroad Depot (1893), now a financial institution on E. Market Street; and the old Pennsylvania Railroad freight house (1907) behind the old depot. Visit the museum operated by the Historical Society of the Blairsville Area, 116 E. Campbell Street, to travel back to these significant days in our transportation heritage. Open Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 10 a.m to 2 p.m. For more information call 724-459-0580.


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Marion Center

map icon


In September 1841, John Park, the landower of "Marion," laid out the Village of "Marion." On September 1, 1841, the Indiana Register stated that "Marion will offer lots for sale September 21, 1841." John Park chose the name "Marion" in honor of the Revolutionary hero General Francis Marion. The Post Office was named the Brady Post Office, which opened January 12, 1858 and John. C. Rochester was the postmaster. "Marion" was incorporated into a borough in June 1869. The Brady Post Office was the Post Office for "Marion" until December 26, 1890 when the names of the town "Marion" and the Brady Post Office were changed to Marion Center.



Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Smicksburg - An Amish Settlement

map icon

http://www.smicksburg.net

Smicksburg - An Amish SettlementStep back into time as you travel to Northern Indiana County, home of a large Amish population which has grown to over 800 settlers since 1961. The Amish pursue a simpler lifestyle, operating farms and other businesses in ways that have changed little in the past century. Take notice of the fields being farmed with horses, and the small school houses where young children play in simple clothing as you drive through the beautiful countryside with rolling hills and gentle curves. The people are hospitable and wave as you go by, but please be careful to respect their lifestyle and take no pictures of the Amish folk. Drive slowly through the area being courteous to Amish traveling in horse-drawn buggies, and enjoy over 20 specialty shops along the way, offering country crafts, quilts, furniture, and foods. Smicksburg or "Schmicksburg," West Mahoning Township, Route 954 was founded in May of 1827 by Reverend J. George Schmick. Reverend Schmick was a Lutheran minister who purchased land from Charles Coleman. The Smicksburg Post Office opened October 1, 1830. John Kerr was the postmaster at that time. Kerr was also the blacksmith. The borough was incorporated in 1854. Before leaving the Smicksburg area, be sure to visit Windgate Winery located on Hemlock Acres Road, just off Rt. 954.?Schedule a tour of The McCormick Mansion nearby on SR 4018.


Ernest

map icon


ErnestOriginally a small coal mining town built by R&P Coal Company, it was named for Ernest Iselin, one of the owners of R&P. At one time, it had a company store which housed the post office. It also had an elementary school, a catholic school, and several mine offices including the company doctor's office. Now it is strictly residential. Many of the features that distinguished it as a coal mining town are now gone. There are, however, the old foundations of the coke ovens and the black boney that will continue to remind the residents of the once thriving town that it was.


Categories: Historical   Things To Do   Historic Towns  

Blairsville Underground Railroad

map icon
214 S. East Lane
Blairsville, PA 15717
Phone: 724-459-5779
Fax: 724-459-0580
http://www.undergroundrailroadblairsvillepa.com

Blairsville Underground RailroadThe Passport to Freedom is dedicated to the lives of brave men and women who believed that any type of slavery was wrong. At the risk of being fined and arrested, they willing aided enslaved people in their quest to find safety and freedom. As these freedom seekers traveled north through Indiana County, they were sheltered and moved from one safe place to another. The "Rescue of 1858: Newman's Escape" occurred in Blairsville and is reenacted annually. The historic marker is located just west of the bandstand near the Conemaugh River. Mailing address is 116 E. Campbell St., Blairsville, PA 15717.


Indiana University Museum

map icon
John Sutton Hall, 1011 South Drive, IUP
Indiana, PA 15705
Phone: 724 357-2397
www.iup.edu/museum/

Indiana University MuseumThe University Museum is located in John Sutton Hall, a beautifully restored  and nationally registered historic landmark built in 1875.  The mission of the Museum is to bring the material history and arts of the region together in an environment that encourages exploration, dialogue and enjoyment.This mandate is based on the belief that art and history are unbounded and essential to our understanding of who we were, who we are and who we want to be.


Categories: Museums   Historical   Things To Do  

Jimmy Stewart Museum

map icon
835 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-349-6112
Fax: 724-349-6140
http://www.jimmy.org

The museum is dedicated to world renowned actor Jimmy Stewart. Located in Indiana, PA, his birthplace. Career and personal history and artifacts, 50 seat movie theatre, and Gift Shop. Winter Hours  Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 12 noon to 4 p.m.


Harmon Bridge

map icon


Harmon BridgeHarmon Bridge, which was built in 1910 at a cost of $525, is 45 feet long and was named after Civil War veteran J.S. Harmon. Built by John R. Carnahan, Harmon Bridge is constructed with town lattice trusses. It is considered a companion bridge to Trusal Bridge and is located on the south branch of Plum Creek just off Five Points Road.


Thomas Bridge

map icon


Thomas BridgeThe Thomas Bridge was built in 1879 at a cost of $545 and completely reconstructed in 1998 at a cost of slightly more than $1 million dollars. Amos Thomas built the original bridge, which is the longest of the Indiana County covered bridges at a length of 75 feet. The original bridge was constructed with town lattice trusses. The Thomas Bridge crosses over Crooked Creek near Yarnick's Farm Market. The bridge was also known as Thomas Ford Bridge - prior to the construction of the bridge, there was a fording stream crossing at this location. When the railroad was constructed in this area in the early 1900's the bridge was also known as Thomas Station Bridge.


Kintersburg Bridge

map icon


Kintersburg BridgeKintersburg Bridge was built in 1877 and named for Isaac Kinter, a local shopkeeper. J.S. Fleming erected the bridge over Crooked Creek at a cost of $893. The Kintersburg Bridge is the only Howe truss bridge in Indiana County and one of only five Howe truss bridges remaining in the state of Pennsylvania. It is 68 feet long.


Trusal Bridge

map icon


Trusal BridgeThe oldest of Indiana County's covered bridges is the Trusal Bridge, built in 1870 (also known as Dice's Bridge). At 41 feet long, the Trusal Bridge is the shortest of Indiana County's covered bridges. It was named after Robert Trusal, a nearby property owner. It is considered a companion bridge to Harmon Bridge and is located on the south branch of Plum Creek just off Five Points Road. Trusal Bridge is located about one-half mile downstream of the Harmon Bridge.


John T. Crawford Camp #43 Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War Department of Pennsylvania

map icon
144 Church Street
Indiana, PA 15701
suvcwcamp43.wordpress.com

The local Camp, known as the John T. Crawford Camp #43, was originally formed in 1904, and was named in honor of Major John T. Crawford, a former attorney and physician, who enlisted in the 63rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was soon promoted to Brigade Surgeon. While tending to his wounded men in Virginia, Major Crawford contracted typhoid fever, and was sent home to recuperate in May 1862. After returning home, the disease worsened, and on June 7, 1862, he died from its effects. His wife, Sarah Colwell Crawford, for whom the Auxiliary is named, never remarried, and remained in Kittanning until her death in 1912. She received a widow's pension of $25.00 per month. Both she and her husband are buried in Kittanning Cemetery. The Camp phased out of existence in 1936, when membership dwindled, due to the deaths of many members and the lack of interest of the next generation. The Auxiliary, however, remained functional until the mid 1950's, when it too lost its charter. Both the Camp and Auxiliary began reformation activities in 1989, and both were re-chartered in 1990. Both groups are quite active in numerous activities, including parades, grave dedications, and Memorial Day services throughout the area.


Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County

map icon
621 Wayne Avenue
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-463-9600
http://hgsic.org

Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County Through a broad range of activities, The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County seeks to promote a greater appreciation of Indiana County's rich heritage and a better understanding of life today. We invite you to visit the Indiana County Historical Museum, the Indiana County Memorial to the Veterans, and the Frances Helman Research Library. You can also use our website for information and educational purposes. The Society is located in the town of Indiana, our county seat. In 1938, the Society was founded as a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization. The Society's purpose is to collect and preserve materials illustrative to Indiana County, its families, businesses, and organizations. Hours are Tuesday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.


Historical Society of the Blairsville Area

map icon
116 East Campbell Street
Blairsville, PA 15717
Phone: 724-459-0580
http://www.blairsvillehistoric.com

Historical Society of the Blairsville AreaOperated under the auspices of the Historical Society of the Blairsville Area (HSBA), the Museum was established in 1986 through the efforts of many individuals interested in preserving and promoting local heritage. Because of the Society’s efforts, Blairsville has become one of the best-documented towns in Indiana County. Open Tuesday – Saturday 10 am – 2 pm or by appointment


Kiski Junction Railroad

map icon
130 Railroad Street
Schenley, PA 15682
Phone: 724-295-5577
http://www.kiskijunction.com

Kiski Junction RailroadCome aboard for a scenic one hour train ride on a real working shortline railroad departing from Schenley, Armstrong County, in southwest Pennsylvania. See a spectacular view of the rivers as we travel along the Kiskiminetas and Allegheny rivers. Ride over the former Pennsylvania Main Line Canal with remnants still intact. All aboard for a fun family adventure! Bring your own picnic lunch and eat right on the train.



Buttermilk Falls Natural Area

map icon
570 Valley Brook Road
New Florence, PA 15944
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Buttermilk Falls Natural AreaThis site features an impressive 45 foot waterfall and scenic woodland. The 48-acre natural area was donated to Indiana County Parks in 1995 by the Keystone-Conemaugh Group, owners of the nearby Conemaugh Generating Station. As a natural area, the site has been set aside to protect both typical and unique plant and animal communities and to protect outstanding examples of natural beauty. Between 1931 and 1956 the property was owned by Fred McFeely, grandfather of Fred Rogers of children's television fame. McFeely, a wealthy industrialist from Latrobe, PA, utilized the property as a retreat. His estate featured a cottage, horse stables, a three car garage, outbuildings and a swimming area in the creek above the falls. Mr. Rogers often visited the site as a child. Stone foundations and retaining walls from the estate are visible at the site.


Memorial Park

map icon
South Sixth Street
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org

Memorial ParkAlthough the smallest of the County Parks, Memorial Park is one of the most historic sites within Indiana County. Originally surveyed in 1774, the site was once a church cemetery. Many graves are still located in the park. During the Civil War, the site served as a hiding place for travelers of the Underground Railroad. The park's doughboy statue was erected in 1923 by a group of citizens led by Alex Stewart, father of the actor James Stewart. Nearby, is the Clark House and former Armory building, now home of the Indiana County Historical and Genealogical Society.



Saltsburg Canal Park/Contact: Saltsburg Borough

map icon
320 Point Street
Saltsburg, PA 15681
Phone: 724-639-9413
http://www.visitsaltsburg.com

Running the entire length of Saltsburg Borough is a 62 foot wide section of greenway known as Saltsburg’s Canal Park.   The Park is located on the site of the former PA Mainline Canal that later became the PA Railroad and now overlaps a section of the West Penn Trail. Visitors will enjoy a scenic, river-view walkway enhanced by informative historic signs, a footprint of Canal lock #8, a footbridge, and benches and picnic tables for relaxing moments.  Also, a section of the Park, known as North Park, now includes Saltsburg’s Veteran’s Memorial.  The water-wave paved sections of the Park between Washington and Market Streets serve as the location for setting up community special events such as vendors’ booths and food stands during Canal Days and Saltsburg’s lighted Christmas Trees display during the month of December.  


Downtown Indiana, Inc

map icon
39 North 7th Street, Suite 101
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: 724-463-6110
Fax: 724-463-1293
http://www.downtownindiana.org

Downtown Indiana, IncWalk, shop, dine, enjoy festivals and parades! Downtown Indiana works to have a broadly supported and coordinated development plan for the heart of the community by addressing economic development, land use, infrastructure, health, education, culture, recreation, historic preservation, tourism, safety and quality of life issues in order to form a vibrant and healthy heart by the community.



John G. Schmick Heritage Center

map icon
PO Box 89 - 59 E. Kittanning Street
Smicksburg, PA 16256
Phone: 814-257-8083

John G. Schmick Heritage CenterLocal Historical Society Please Note: The Historical Society will be open beginning April 11. Thursday - Saturday 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM


Covered Bridge Driving Tour

map icon

http://www.indianacountyparks.org/downloads/covered-bridges/coveredbridgesbrochure.pdf

Indiana County is home to four covered bridges constructed in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s.  The four bridges are Harmon, Trusal, Kintersburg and Thomas. A covered bridge driving map is available by clicking the above link.  


Homer-Center Historical Society, Inc.

map icon
PO Box 42
Caboose-Museum North Main Street, Floodway Park
Homer City, PA 15748
Phone: 724-549-4251
www.facebook.com/Homer-Center-Historical-Society-551283818381300

The Homer-Center Historical Society displays heritage artifacts of the Homer City area in a refurbished caboose.  Museum hours are seasonal.


Saltsburg – Canal Town, Trail Town, and River Recreation Area

map icon
Southwest Gateway Town to Indiana County
Located on Route 286, southwest of Indiana, PA

http://www.visitsaltsburg.com

Saltsburg was founded by Andrew Boggs in 1816.  It was named for the early salt industry established along the Conemaugh and Kiskiminetas Rivers.  From 1829 through 1864, Saltsburg was an important stop along the Western Division of the Pennsylvania Main Line Canal.  The canal running through Saltsburg connected the cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, serving as a major route for transporting both goods and passengers.  Today the Saltsburg Canal Park preserves this historic area and educates visitors about the rich heritage of the town during the Canal Period. Recently, Saltsburg was designated as a Trail Town by the Greensburg Progress Fund and serves as a hub for the West Penn and Westmoreland Heritage Trails.  From Saltsburg, bikers and hikers can travel east on the West Penn Trail toward the towns of White Station, Tunnelton, and Blairsville including a stop at the Conemaugh Dam Recreation Area, or a short distance north toward the neighboring town of Avonmore.  Also, trail users can take the Westmoreland Heritage Trail going west toward Slickville and then on to Delmont.  This totals an approximate distance of 20.5  miles for trail enthusiasts. Situated along the Conemaugh and Kiskiminetas Rivers, Saltsburg offers opportunities for fishing, boating, and kayaking.  In addition, it is an access point on the Kiski-Conemaugh Water trail that ends at Freeport, offering 28 miles of river travel and recreation.


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

John B. McCormick House

map icon
West of Georgeville Off Route 210 Near Smicksburg


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Western Division of Pennsylvania Canal

map icon
Saltsburg, PA 15681

One of the sites listed on the 24 National Register of Historic Places.


Old Indiana County Courthouse

map icon
601 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Old Indiana County Jail and Sheriff's Office

map icon
Behind old Court House
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Blairsville Armory

map icon
119 North Walnut Street
Blairsville, PA 15717

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


James Mitchell House

map icon
57 South Sixth Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Silas M. Clark House

map icon
200 South Sixth Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Indiana Armory

map icon
621 Wayne Avenue (directly behind Clark House)
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


IUP John Sutton Hall

map icon
On IUP Campus
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Graff's Market

map icon
27 North Sixth Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of the 24 National Register of historic places.


West Wheatfield Township Bridge

map icon
West Wheatfield Township, over Richards Run near Robinson


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


IUP Breezedale

map icon
Located On IUP Campus


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Railway Indiana Passenger Station

map icon
1125 Philadelphia Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Commodore Historic District

map icon
Roughly bounded by PA Route 286, Vanderbilt Avenue, Musser Street and Fisher Avenue


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


George Diehl Homestead

map icon
on Diehl Road, off Route 422 East of Indiana


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Downtown Indiana Historic District

map icon
Roughly bounded by Water Street, Seventh Street, Sixth Street, and Wayne Avenue


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Indiana Borough 1912 Municipal Building

map icon
39 North Seventh Street
Indiana, PA 15701

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


The Eliza Iron Furnace

map icon
Vintondale, PA 15961
Phone: 724-463-8636
http://www.indianacountyparks.org/parks/ef/ef.html

The Eliza Iron FurnaceThe Eliza Furnace is a National Register site regarded as one of Pennsylvania's best preserved iron furnaces. Dating from 1846 the Eliza Furnace is one of only a few iron furnaces remaining in the United States which still retains its original heat exchanger piping. The two-acre site is leased to Indiana County by the Cambria County Historical Society. Eliza Furnace was constructed in 1845 and 1846. At its peak, the furnace employed over 90 people and utilzed 45 mules to produce about 1,080 tons of iron a year. The furnace was not a financial success, and operated only three years. Difficulties in transporting iron by teams of horses to Ninevah on the Pennsylvania Canal, poor-quality local ore, and a significant drop in iron prices sealed the furnace's fate. Despite its early closing, Eliza Furnace helped bring the industrial revolution to the Blacklick Valley. A detailed history of the furnace is available here in PDF format. Additional information about Eliza Furnace and other iron furnaces in Pennsylvania can be found at the Industrial Archeology and PA Iron Furnace Sourcebook websites.


Saltsburg Historical District

map icon
Roughly from Plum and Walnut Alleys over to the Kiskiminetas River


One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


St. Peter's Episcopal Church and Rectory

map icon
38 West Campbell Street
Blarisville, PA 15717

One of Indiana County's sites on the National Register of Historic Places.


Heilwood

map icon

www.heilwood.com

Beginning as early as 1899, a coal broker from Williamsport by way of Philadelphia began buying coal lands in and around Indiana County.  By 1904, John Heisley Weaver, the coal broker would begin construction of his ‘model town’ to be called ‘Heilwood’.  The name of the town was probably a corruption of this own nick name ‘Heil’ and another coal mining town in West Virginia.  Although he would sell all his holdings, including the town of Heilwood in 1906, the foundation of the town had been laid out for the purchasing company, The Penn Mary Coal Company.  Within 6 years, the town would have almost 400 houses; a hospital; a dairy; a company store / post office; churches; schools; a town hall with bowling alleys / barber shop.  The near by mines would employ almost 1,000 workers at their peak. The town could be proud of its heritage as having: the first building in Indiana County erected solely as a hospital-1909; the organization of the first Boy Scout Troop in Indiana County-1911; and having the first American Legion Post formed in Indiana County following World War II-1946.


Categories: Historic Towns   Historical   Things To Do  

Marshall House Museum

map icon
107 N. State Streeet
Dayton, PA 16222
Phone: 814-257-8846
www.daytonpa.org

A ten room furnished country farmhouse on the National Register. Headquaters for the Dayton Area Local Historical Society - Open Saturdays from Memorial Day to mid-October, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM. Other times by appointment. Group tours and dinners arranged. Special events include: Memorial Day Exhibit from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM; Annual Tea from 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM; and Christmas Open House - December from 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM


Categories: Museums   Historical   Things To Do