Living History Presentations

Blairsville Underground Railroad

map icon
214 S. East Lane
Blairsville, PA 15717
Phone: 724-459-5779
Fax: 724-459-0580
http://www.undergroundrailroadblairsvillepa.com

Blairsville Underground RailroadThe Passport to Freedom is dedicated to the lives of brave men and women who believed that any type of slavery was wrong. At the risk of being fined and arrested, they willing aided enslaved people in their quest to find safety and freedom. As these freedom seekers traveled north through Indiana County, they were sheltered and moved from one safe place to another. The "Rescue of 1858: Newman's Escape" occurred in Blairsville and is reenacted annually. The historic marker is located just west of the bandstand near the Conemaugh River. Mailing address is 116 E. Campbell St., Blairsville, PA 15717.


John T. Crawford Camp #43 Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War Department of Pennsylvania

map icon
144 Church Street
Indiana, PA 15701
suvcwcamp43.wordpress.com

The local Camp, known as the John T. Crawford Camp #43, was originally formed in 1904, and was named in honor of Major John T. Crawford, a former attorney and physician, who enlisted in the 63rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was soon promoted to Brigade Surgeon. While tending to his wounded men in Virginia, Major Crawford contracted typhoid fever, and was sent home to recuperate in May 1862. After returning home, the disease worsened, and on June 7, 1862, he died from its effects. His wife, Sarah Colwell Crawford, for whom the Auxiliary is named, never remarried, and remained in Kittanning until her death in 1912. She received a widow's pension of $25.00 per month. Both she and her husband are buried in Kittanning Cemetery. The Camp phased out of existence in 1936, when membership dwindled, due to the deaths of many members and the lack of interest of the next generation. The Auxiliary, however, remained functional until the mid 1950's, when it too lost its charter. Both the Camp and Auxiliary began reformation activities in 1989, and both were re-chartered in 1990. Both groups are quite active in numerous activities, including parades, grave dedications, and Memorial Day services throughout the area.


Kiski Junction Railroad

map icon
130 Railroad Street
Schenley, PA 15682
Phone: 724-295-5577
http://www.kiskijunction.com

Kiski Junction RailroadCome aboard for a scenic one hour train ride on a real working shortline railroad departing from Schenley, Armstrong County, in southwest Pennsylvania. See a spectacular view of the rivers as we travel along the Kiskiminetas and Allegheny rivers. Ride over the former Pennsylvania Main Line Canal with remnants still intact. All aboard for a fun family adventure! Bring your own picnic lunch and eat right on the train.